Creating web safe images with the iPad Shortcuts App
Keeping web pages small can be challenging and images are often part of the problem. Transforming images to the right size is a hassle, but not with the iPad. With this Shortcut it is as easy as exporting images from the Photos app.
Creating the web safe images
The Shortcut performs a simple task. It takes an image and resizes it to the dimensions you enter and compresses it to 75%. By the default you only enter the desired widht and the Shortcut will auto adjust the height so that the image keeps its original aspect ratio. You can freely adjust these settings in the Shortcuts app.
The web safe image are created with the following steps:
- On your iPad or iPhone select one or more images in the Photos or files app.
- Tap the share button.
- Select “Resize Image”.
- In the Shortcut pop-up you can enter the desired size.
- Select the location where you want to save the image.
How does the Shortcut work
This Shortcut only has three steps:
- Get the image from the Shortcut input and get the new dimensions.
- Convert the image to JPEG, compress it (this is the quality slider) and remove Metadata.
- Save the image. You can also choose a default location instead asking for the location each time.
You can get the Shortcut for free to try it out yourself and of course you can also use the Shortcut for other purposes than web safe images.